About the Committee
The National Nutrition Committee (NNC) is a scientific advisory body that aims to improve the nutritional and health status in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) by providing recommendations and scientific opinions in the field of nutrition to the relevant authorities.
The Committee established under the organizational structure of the Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) based on the decision of the Council of Ministers No. 144 on 05/03/1440 H an introduction to the National Nutrition Committee.
- Contribute to prevent Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) related to nutrition in KSA.
- Assess and monitor the nutritional status of the Saudi population.
- Conduct studies and research related to field of nutrition.
- Obtain the benefits from regional and international experiences in the field of nutrition and prevention of NCDs related to nutrition.
- Coordinate the efforts between the relevant governmental entities and private sector to enhance the nutritional status of the society.
- Enhance the voluntary participation of individuals and institutions in KSA to prevent and manage NCDs related to nutrition.
- Raise the community awareness regarding balanced diet and suitable methods to improve nutritional and health status in KSA.
- Studying the Nutritional Status of the Community in the KSA.
- Setting Priorities to Create or Modify Nutrition Policies.
- Determining and Updating the Nutrient Reference Values.
- Assessing Nutrients Contents of Foods.
- Providing Nutritional Recommendations and Scientific Opinions to the Relevant Authorities.
- Conducting Nutrition Studies and Research.
- Establishing National Scientific Databases in Nutrition Field.
- Any other duties in the scope of work of the NNC are determine by a decision of the Administrative Board of SFDA based on a recommendation raised by NNC.
- To be a reference entity in the field of nutrition in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia regarding to evidence based decision-Making.
- Providing scientific recommendations and consultations based on studies to improve public health and nutritional status of society.
Members of the National Committee for Nutrition.
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture.
- Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs and Housing.
- Ministry of Education.
- Ministry of Commerce and Investment.
- Food and Drug Authority.
- Saudi Health Council.
- King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology.
- The General Authority for Statistics.
- Private sector.
- Consultants in the field of nutrition.