I congratulate you, Abdulrahman Al-Sultan and Dafi, today is Professor Dr. Saleh Al-Dosari, Deputy CEO of the Food Sector at the Food and Drug Authority.
How old are you? Heli is free of pesticides? Who is sure of its safety? Today's talk in the podcast talks about the residues of pesticides with Dr. Saleh Al-Dosari.
Dime Hear about the term pesticide residue What does it mean?
Pesticide residues or so-called "pesticide residues" are the quantities or concentrations of pesticides that remain on the surface or inside agricultural and food products after being treated with pesticides. These concentrations vary depending on the type of crop and the type of pesticide.
We have stopped at the last point mentioned by the period of prohibition .. What is the meaning of the period of prohibition?
The meaning of the prohibition period is very important. Is the period in which crop harvest is prohibited after spraying or after treatment with pesticides.
So how do pesticides reach the food?
Arrive by spraying food crops with pesticides. It can be found in food products or on agricultural crops after harvest or storage.
Ok these pesticides and their residues .. Are there risks to consumer health?
Yes there are risks to the health of the consumer .. Through:
1. Hormonal imbalance in the work of hormones and glands.
2. Fertility and fertility problems.
3. Embryo deformation.
4. Increase the risk of cancer, God forbid.
Since there are risks, is there a higher limit allowed?
Yes, there are maximum limits in food and agricultural products for these pesticides, and vary from one pesticide to another and from one crop or food product to another. Which is the safe limit for consumers approved by specialized international bodies.
Dr. Saleh, I think we got to the important question. As consumers, how can we reduce pesticide residues on food and agricultural products?
There are some important processes that lead to reducing pesticide residues on these food products, including:
1. Washing process: It is necessary to ensure good washing of these products, and be more effective if the pesticide residue on the surface of the plant.
2. Cooking process: The process of cracking these pesticides into less particles and thus less residue.
3. Peeling process: The pesticide residue on the food surfaces can be disposed of.
4. Removal of fat: It can be rid of pesticide residues accumulated in fatty tissue.
Dr. Saleh Saleh What is the SFDA in minimizing or reducing the risk of pesticide residues in food?
Of course, the SFDA has a very significant role in reducing pesticide residues in food through:
• Implementation of the National Program for Monitoring Residues of Pesticides in Food, by random random sampling of all central markets in the Kingdom. And then communicate with these markets.
• There is also a significant role in communication between the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture, by guiding farmers and alerting them of the mistakes they can make.
• Also by tightening controls on importers and on food and agricultural products, whether fresh or processed, by applying or requiring the existence of certificates that prove that they conform to Saudi specifications, and also proves that they are free from increasing the permissible limits of pesticide residues.
Thank you Dr. Saleh Al Dosari, Executive Vice President of the Food Sector at the SFDA. You are more than happy to learn more about the dangers of pesticide residues and how to deal with them. I invite you to visit the website of the SFDA. I meet you in the next episode. Good-bye.